enquiries@ampropertymanagement.co.uk Follow us on twitter
Landlords Guide for Letting Property in Reading, Berkshire - AM Property Management
Quick Search
Max Price

Guide To Landlords

There are various matters that need to be considered before, during and after a property has been let. The sections below cover these in more detail. If you require further advice or assistance with any matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.


If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgagee's written consent to the letting. They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us. Failure to do so may invalidate your Buildings insurance.


If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease and obtain the necessary written consent before letting. We will need to see a copy of the permission to let from the Head Leaseholder.


You should ensure that you are suitably covered for letting under both your buildings and contents insurance. Failure to inform your Insurers may invalidate your policies. We recommend taking out a specific Landlord’s Insurance policy which should cover any re-housing of tenants if an emergency occurs or the property becomes inhabitable.

Council tax

Council tax is the responsibility of the occupier. You should inform your local Council that you are leaving the property and we will inform them of the new occupants but during vacant periods the charge reverts to the owner. When unoccupied but furnished, the charge is 50% of the normal rate. When unoccupied and unfurnished, there is no charge for the first month depending on the Council that the property falls under and only one month of exception applies per year.

Landlords Guide for Letting Property in Reading, Berkshire
Landlords Guide for Letting Property in Reading, Berkshire

The inventory and Check In

It is most important that an Inventory of contents and Schedule of Condition be prepared in order to avoid misunderstanding or dispute at the end of a tenancy, and is a requirement of this Agency. Without such safeguards, it would be impossible for the landlord or Agent to prove any loss, damage, or significant deterioration of the property or contents. In order to provide a complete service to the landlord, we will arrange for an Independent Inventory Clerk to prepare an inventory and schedule of condition and check the tenant into the property, at a cost to be quoted.

Income tax

When the landlord is resident in the UK, it is entirely their responsibility to inform the Inland Revenue of rental income received, and to pay any tax due. However, where the landlord is resident outside the UK during a tenancy other obligations come into practice. We can discuss these if required.

AM Property Management

Legal & Privacy | Sitemap | Links | Web Design and Software by Acquaint CRM
© 2017 AM Property Management - Letting Agents in Reading